Friday, December 23, 2011

Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone

Throughout being in South Africa we have been involved in so many different ministries. One of the ministries that has really impacted my life is Careline. Careline is a rehab center and halfway house for people dealing with alcoholism, drug problems, and mental illnesses. Since going to Careline I have been able to connect with so many different people. Every time we go to Careline I get so excited for the next time. I have loved hearing their stories and making friendships. In the beginning of going to Careline it was really hard to connect with everyone because I didn’t know them that well. I also had never been to a rehab center before but when we continued to go there for different things I was able to communicate with them more than I expected . When we first started going to Careline I really felt that at this place God was really going to use me and he has repeatedly. Throughout my life I have had trouble really stepping out of my comfort zone. It’s always been hard for me to just go up to people and start talking to them. Careline had truly changed that in me. For the past few weeks I have been able to stretch myself and talk to people a lot more. When I’m there I’m not afraid of anything. I used to be super scared to share my story or share about God because I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to answer people's questions and that no one could relate to any of my story. God has been giving me the words to say and he has brought people who can relate to my story.

One of the greatest experiences that has taken place is when I spent the evening talking to Darren. It all started when I saw him sitting alone and no one else was talking to him. I felt God speak to me and tell me to just introduce myself and he would work the rest so I did. Within a few minutes the whole conversation turned into each of us sharing our testimonies to one another. The cool part about our testimonies is that some of the things he struggles with in life are things I struggle with as well. It felt so awesome to know that even though God makes everyone different and no human is the same as another there are still parts of us that can be similar.

God has giving me a heart for everyone at the rehab center. I never thought God would give me a heart for this place. I have always had this love for being with children but since going to Careline I’m starting to have a love for people going through difficult times. I’m so excited to see how God uses me these next days there as well as other places.

~Megan Trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment